Considering that we only have a free choice
blog every other week, there are certainly a few different topics that I could
rant about this week. Cold weather, potholes, and bad drivers in snowy weather
are definitely finalists, but I decided to rave about something that we are
doing in one of my other classes.
In my Philosophy 112 class, we watched a movie,
and then each of us had to give an oral presentation about a different aspect
from the movie. The class is Comparative Religion, so there were many different
types of religious themes in the movie. The presentation would count as our
Midterm. So, each of us had to reach into an envelope, and pick out a question
at random. We were given the option to trade questions with other classmates if
we chose.
It has been very interesting watching all of
the presentations the last few days, especially since mine has already been
done. I like to see what each person’s take on the movie is, and what type of
creativity they may bring to the class. I chose to do a Powerpoint, one girl
used cut-out pictures of the characters to illustrate her point, and even one
made a video of herself at home and played it for the class. Our instructor has
been very liberal about how they must be structured. Most have simply used notes
and given a speech, but everyone has really done a great job.
This is the way that I feel college level learning
should be. It should be about the experience of learning. Too often, a class
will be about memorizing information, and taking tests. However, the classes we
will remember will be the ones where we work outside the box, and do something
different. Hopefully, the majority of my classes will be like this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment