Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The iWorld? Thank God….oh, and Steve Jobs


In this week #6 text response blog, I will critique an article by Andrew Sullivan entitled, “Society Is Dead: We Have Retreated into the iWorld. My response: Give me a break! Seriously. And this isn’t the first time that I have heard this narrative lately. It’s usually from someone of the older generation, and it’s always the same argument. “These kids can’t communicate anymore because they are always focused on their phones.” It could be a sensible contention, but maybe communicating is exactly what they are doing. A teenager that sends 2000+ texts per month is obviously keeping in touch with a lot of friends, or in the least, one really great friend.

As far as society goes, do we really have a responsibility to be ready to chat with anyone who crosses our path, at the drop of a hat? Aren’t we entitled to have some time alone with our thoughts without being disturbed? I feel that my morning commute is a great time to listen to music in my car and get ready mentally for my day. However, if a person doesn’t have a car and they must use public transportation, then aren’t afforded that luxury. I’ve taken enough Chicago to Newark flights to know that most people want to be left alone and have their personal space. You don’t want chatty Cathy in the next seat.

I understand the inability to accept this new generation’s dependence on technology. But it’s here to stay, and it’s time to accept it. Would someone have the same aversion to a person who had their nose in a Steinbeck novel on the subway? Probably not. But we automatically assume that the person’s iPod has some sort of dreadful music playing. Nickelback or Creed, perhaps? Maybe the person is listening to Beethoven, or quite possibly, that Steinbeck on Audible. Ultimately, it’s up to the person to decide how we use technology.

If Mr. Sullivan feels that we have slipped into a cyber-world, he can certainly take out his earbuds and close his laptop on his next flight. United has a non-stop flight from Chicago to Beijing, and I’m sure his neighbor will have no problem testing his theory. It’s a 14 hour flight. Good luck with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment