Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Being a Cubs fan


As the warm weather approaches, it is time to begin another baseball season. In many cities across America, there is hope that the hometown team can possibly have a winning season and make a run deep into October. Unfortunately for Chicago Cubs fans, there is not as much optimism, at least for the 2014 season. I am one of those fans. And I will remain a Cubs fan for my entire life, because being a Cubs fans isn’t about championships (Thankfully!), it’s about loyalty and charm.

Even after reading in my Sports Illustrated Baseball preview issue that the Cubs are predicted to lose 100 games this season, I watched on Opening Day hoping to see a win. A 1-0 loss in 10 innings was the outcome, and I had to shake my head. This may be how this season goes. I hear that they have a good farm system in place, and maybe in 2015 or 2016, they could be contenders. Until then, I will still watch and cheer for my team. Because as a Cubs fan, you know, this is a lifetime commitment.

Loyalty runs deep in Chicago’s North side. Fans will still flock to Wrigley Field wearing their favorite jersey expecting to see a win. Add to that, one of the most charming seats in all of baseball. The charm of Wrigley Field has no bounds, and most sports fans agree that there is nothing like a sunny afternoon in the bleachers, holding a beer, and sitting right above the green ivy. Except maybe for a Cardinals fan.

The Cubs will always be my team, and even when I lived in New Jersey for 8 years, I had no problem telling everyone that I will always be a Cubs fan. I’m not going to suddenly start cheering for the stinkin’ Yankees or Mets. We went to see the Cubs whenever they were in Philadelphia, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many Cubs fans were there. Even when spending the night in a Philly hotel one time after a Phillies/Cubs game, the entire hotel bar was filled with Cubs fans. There was even a good share of cars with Illinois license plates. This shows how well the loyal Cubs fans travel.

I know that this may not be our year, but I will still watch with enthusiasm. I will gripe when there is a bad call, and yell when they give up a homer. Maybe these young Cubs may be the start of something great. But, there is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment