Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Darwin


In my week 13 text response blog, I will be responding to article by Ben Stein entitled Florida’s Darwinian interlude. The column is about how the state of Florida was suggesting passing a law mandating that only Darwinian type teachings could be taught in the schools. I personally believe that the suggestion of this is a bit absurd. I believe that is how the whole creationism versus evolution argument started in the first place. To suggest that only one type of scientific theory should be taught, limits the advancement of education. Darwin’s theories are not infallible, and science will always be making new discoveries. We have to believe that there are young scientists right now looking to do what Darwin did nearly 150 years ago. If we tell the scientific community that there are no other theories taught in the classroom, then that might be as close minded as simply teaching creationism. We must always be willing in our public schools to expand student’s minds. And to do that, we must have the ability to teach the most groundbreaking discoveries. Despite what you may think about Darwin, this is about the principle of education. Professors and teachers are on the front lines helping mold the next generation of physicists, engineers, and doctors. They must be allowed to be progressives and they cannot be held back by a group of bureaucrats.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you say, but is there room in public education to teach creationism? I absolutely believe Darwinism should be taught as a theory and that students should be encouraged to challenge and explore all theories. I do not (even as a Christian) believe creationism belongs within public school curriculum.

    ReplyDelete